Do you love everything Nutella? Try this recipe for Nutella empanadas.
Yield: 16, 5 inch half circles
Chill: 30 min
Bake: 25 min
1 cup unsalted butter, cut into tiny squares
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp sugar
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
2 eggs, 1 for wash
2 tbsp milk
1 cup Nutella
decorating sugar crystals
- In a large mixing bowl, bring together butter, salt, sugar and flour with a pastry blender, until grainy. Add in milk and egg and mix together. Using hands, knead into a dough
- Turn onto counter and knead a few more times until smooth. Refrigerate dough for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Line 2 baking pans with parchment paper.
- Work with half the dough at a time. Roll out dough about 1/8 of an inch thick. Cut out circles using a bowl ( I use a bowl 5 inch in diameter) and set aside. You can make these into a pop tarts by cutting into rectangles- just make sure you make an even amount of rectangles, same size with the other half of the dough. Gather any loose pieces, reroll and cut, repeating until all dough is used.
- Continue with the other half of the dough. If using a circle, I can get about 16 5 inch circles.
- Beat other egg and brush over each circle. Set aside, you’ll use again.
- Scoop 1 tbsp Nutella onto each circle. Fold circle in half over Nutella and press edges slightly.
- Use the tines of a fork to seal edges. Use fork to poke holes on top of each empanada to vent.
- Brush tops with egg wash, and sprinkle with decorating sugar.
- Place on parchment paper and bake 20-25 minutes or until lightly browned.