Cochitos, marranitos, puercitos, whatever you want to call them, they are delicious.
Yield: 16 4-5 inches each
Bake: 13 min
1/4 cup shortening
1 1/4 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 cup molasses
1/4 cup milk
5-6 cups all purpose flour
1 egg for egg wash
- Preheat oven to 350f. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In mixer bowl, cream together brown sugar and shortening.
- Add in vanilla, cinnamon and baking soda.
- Add egg and molasses. Stir in milk.
- Add in flour 1 cup at a time, you will use about 5-5 1/2 cups of flour. The dough should be thick enough to roll out.
- Working with 1/2 of the dough, roll out onto floured counter 1/4 inch and use a pig shaped cutter to cut and place on baking sheet 2 inches apart. I’ve made these with a 5 inch pyrex bowl to cut out into circles, in case you do not have a pig cutter.
- Gather pieces, reroll and place onto sheets. Continue with the rest of the dough. If using circles-I end up with 16, when using a 4 inch pig cutter-I end up with 20.
- Using a pastry brush, brush the tops of cookies to remove excess flour.
- In a small bowl, beat egg. Brush the tops of each cookie with egg wash.
- Bake for 13 – 15 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool immediately.