Yield: 8 large or 4 dozen bites
Rise: 1 hr
1 cup milk
2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast
3 tbsp brown sugar
2 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
2 1/4 cups bread flour
1/3 cup baking soda
2 cups warm water
4 tbsp butter, melted
- In microwave, warm milk to about 110 degress F. Stir in yeast and let sit for 2 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine brown sugar, butter and 1 cup flour. Stir to start forming a dough, slowly add in milk-yeast mixture and rest of flour. Continue mixing until a soft dough forms. Turn onto floured counter and knead until smooth and just slightly tacky, about 5-8 minutes. Place in a large oiled bowl, cover and let rise 1hr.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Lined 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl add warm water and baking soda.
- Divide dough in half. Working with half the dough, divide into 4 sections. Roll each section into a long rope, twist to form a pretzel, dip into baking soda water and place on sheet. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Bake 10-12 minutes. Brush with melted butter.
If making pretzel bites, roll dough into ropes and cut with a pizza cutter, dip in baking soda water and place on sheet. Bake for 8-10 minutes. Brush with butter. Can also place warm baked bites in a bag and toss with cinnamon sugar.
This pretzel dough is versatile and can be used to make different appetizers. Use to make mini pigs in a blanket or use whole hot dogs, just wrap dough around dogs. You can also make stuffed Nutella pretzel bites.