Yield: 9×13 pan
3 tbsp unsalted butter
3 tbsp all purpose flour
2 cups chicken broth
1 4oz can chopped green chiles
3/4 tsp cumin
1 cup sour cream
1 pack 12 count corn tortillas
2 cups chopped or shredded cooked chicken
2 cups shredded pepper jack cheese
- Boil chicken until no longer pink. Shred or chop and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray, set aside.
- In a large pan, melt butter on med to high heat. Add flour and whisk together. Let this cook for 1 minute until browned, whisking constantly. Whisk in half of the chicken broth, keep whisking for another 2 minutes. Slowly add in the remaining broth, green chiles and cumin. Let this cook and thicken for about 2-3 minutes, then add in the sour cream. Whisk until blended. Remove from heat.
- Cut tortillas in half. Line the bottom of pan with tortillas 4 total, cut in half. Doesn’t need to be perfect.
- Spread a ladle or 2 of sauce over tortillas. (you will use the sauce over 3 layers, you will have extra) Spread half the chicken over sauce and sprinkle with 1/3 of the cheese. Layer 4 more tortillas, cut in half and repeat with a ladle or two of sauce, remaining chicken and 1/3 of the cheese.
- Top with remaining tortillas, cover with sauce and remaining cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes. remove foil and bake another 20 minutes uncovered.